I recently asked on Instagram if anyone was interested in having me write about my favorite things to do in Paris, France. I received a lot of likes and a few comments so I will take that as a “yes!”
I’ve been to Paris twice and both times I fell in love with the city. I know some people say it’s dirty and overrated but to me it’s magical.
It was hard to narrow it down to only my top favorite things but I tried. Here we go!
1. Eiffel Tower: There’s just something about the Eiffel Tower that is so magical. I’m not quite sure what it is, but seeing the Eiffel Tower glowing at night was one of the best moments of my life. I’ve stood at the bottom and the top of the tower and both views are incredible. If you have a short time in Paris, I would recommend skipping the line to ride to the top and just enjoy the view from the ground.
Bonus: Experiencing midnight in Paris was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. Every hour on the hour the Eiffel Tower lights up for five minutes. It sparkles and shines for just a few short moments but it is perfect. My friends and I ate at a little café near the tower and walked out at exactly midnight. We stood under the Eiffel Tower amazed by the glowing and glittering. It was one of the most perfect moments of my whole life!
2. The Louvre: I love wandering around the Louvre and being surrounded my amazing art. You don’t have to be an artist to appreciate great art work. The museum itself is huge and would take you hours to get through. I think that the architecture of the building is almost as beautiful as many of the famous paintings and statues. Spend a little time online and decide what you want to see the most and make a plan from there.
3. Walking along the Seine River: There is so much to see in Paris and you can see a lot of it by just walking along the river. Grab a Nutella crepe (my favorite) and enjoy a leisurely stroll. You will see bridges, monuments, street vendors, and all sorts of historical sites. We walked from the Eiffel Tower all the way to Notre Dame and it was a beautiful adventure.
4. Montmartre: This is one of my favorite places in Paris and I will always associate it with the first time that I saw the Eiffel Tower. Montmartre sits upon a big hill where you can see all of Paris. I would recommend strolling down the winding roads and visiting the cute little shops. There’s a lot to see in Montmartre including the Basilique du Sacre-Coeur (the Basilica of the Sacred Heart) which is the giant white church that sits right on top of the hill. It’s so nice to walk through the church and learn about the history of Montmartre.
5. Notre Dame Cathedral: Notre Dame is such an amazing building to walk through and learn about the history. It is free to enter and you can even sit and watch a service. My friends and I sat through a service and were amazed even though none of us speak French and couldn’t understand a word of it. Just being in such a beautiful place listening to someone speak the most beautiful language is amazing.
I could talk about Paris all day but I will keep this short and sweet. Paris is one of my favorite travel destinations. I highly recommend spending at least a weekend exploring the city!